Your search is finally over. I have scoured all of my restaurant recipes resources and found a very close, if not exact, copy of the Outback potato soup recipe. This comes straight from one of the former cooks at Outback™, so I know it’s authentic.
Too many people are making this with Valvetta cheese because of the cheesy flavor of the soup. That’s wrong. The base for thickening this up is rather simple. Try this recipe at home and you’ll be amazed at how close it tastes. Please comment below to let me know what you think.
|Outback Steakhouse™ Potato Soup Recipe|| |
- Potatoes (4 large baking potatoes or up to 8 small potatoes)
- Kosher Salt
- Vegetable Oil
- 2 sticks of butter
- 1 Onion, diced
- ¾ cup of all purpose flour
- 48 oz of chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- Celery salt to taste
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp sugar
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 4-6 pieces of cooked bacon, chopped (save the grease and use with the butter)
- Chopped chives (amount depends on your preference – I like a lot)
- 2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack / Cheddar cheese blend.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Scrub the skins of the potatoes and dry with a towel
- Pierce each potato several times with a fork.
- Place a small amount of oil in your hands and coat each potato
- Sprinkle each potato with Kosher salt
- Place in the oven, directly on the rack (no cookie sheet and NO foil!)
- Bake at 350 for approximately 60 minutes
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter over a low to medium heat, being careful not to burn it.
- Add the onion and cook until softened.
- Add the flour and stir while it cooks for about 3 minutes.
- Slowly add the chicken broth, water, salt, pepper, basil and sugar.
- Bring to a boil, stirring often with a wire whisk.
- Gradually add the heavy cream until you’ve reached the proper consistency.
- Chop the potatoes into bite sized cubes and add to the soup.
- Simmer for approximately 5 minutes to bring the potatoes to temperature.
- Ladle the soup into individual bowls and garnish with chopped bacon, chives and the cheese blend.
Watch the video and follow along. This is a very easy recipe to make and it will certainly impress everyone. Give it a try and and I’d love your feedback.